Deadline: February 15, 2018 00:00 (CET) | Apply here
Eligibility: Students of Australia, China, Cuba, Egypt, Israel, Japan, Mexico, Mongolia, Namibia, Republic of Korea, Turkey, Ukraine and the USA are eligible to apply for these scholarships to undertake 3-9 months for doctoral level studies and research.
Finnish Government Scholarship Pool 2018/19
The Finnish Government Scholarship Pool programme is open to young researchers from all academic fields. The scholarship cannot be applied for Master’s level studies or post-Doctoral studies/research.
Who can apply?
In order to be eligible for this scholarship, you must first successfully apply for a study/research placement at a Finnish university/public research institute.
In other words, you must be at least provisionally accepted either as a visiting Doctoral-level student/researcher, or as a full-time Doctoral degree student.
- A monthly allowance of EUR 1500. The allowance is sufficient for one person only.
- Expenses due to travel, international or in Finland, are not covered by the programme. Scholarship recipients are recommended to make arrangements for sufficient insurance coverage for their stay in Finland.
The Finnish Government Scholarship Pool programme can be applied for a study/research period of 3-9 months, 9 months being the maximum time for an individual applicant.
You may wish to keep in mind that the Finnish academic year starts in late August/early September and ends in late May (check the exact dates with the Finnish university you’re interested in).
However, in your application you may also specify your scholarship period to start after September – as long as your scholarship period begins within the academic year that you’ve applied the scholarship for.
This scholarship programme can not be applied to cover a whole Doctoral degree programme
Applications for the Finnish Government Scholarship Pool funding should be made to the appropriate authority in the applicant’s country.
The scholarship authorities in each country are invited to present applications for up to 10 candidates for the Finnish Government Scholarship Pool.
The announcements for the opening of the annual application round are usually sent out from CIMO at the end of September annually. Documents required for an application:
- A completed and signed application form
- Curriculum vitae
- Copies of latest diplomas
- Two letters of recommendation
- Study/research plan (2-5 pages, including a statement of motivation, goals, work plan, work method, expected results)
- Invitation/expression of interest and motivation for cooperation from the hosting academic supervisor in Finland
- Language certificate (Finnish, Swedish or English) or other indication of sufficient language skills
Copies of original diplomas accompanied with translations into English, Finnish or Swedish – if the original certificates are not in these languages.
Preferably official translations. Please do not send in any originals as CIMO will not return any application documents.
The scholarship authorities in each country are invited to present applications for up to 10 candidates for the Finnish Government Scholarship Pool to the Finnish National Agency for Education, where the final selection of successful candidates is made.
The Finnish National Agency for Education will inform both successful and unsuccessful candidates of the results by June annually.