Are you a high school student preparing for university applications?
Or, have you been working for some time now and feel like an additional degree would help you accelerate your career?
We believe that investing in your education always pays off. Getting a degree does not only open doors to landing your dream job. You will also get inspired by the industry experts, gain skills that will prepare you for success, make friends and establish a professional network.
What is stopping you from submitting your application and changing your life? We understand that tuition fees are increasing and this trend is likely to continue.
But fear not – AlphaGamma got you covered! With our overview of funding options, you will find a way to obtain your degree. Let’s start!
🌍 10 ways to fund your studies abroad in 2023
1. Scholarships and grants
💌 Make sure to sign up for our weekly newsletter as we share scholarhips and other opportunities to fund your studies!
Most institutions offer full or partial scholarships for students in need or are merit-based.
There are thousands of scholarships and financial support schemes available across Europe for international students who wish to study here.
Do research what types of financial aid are offered by the universities where you would like to pursue a degree. The earlier you know the criteria, the more time you will have to prepare your application. It would be a shame if you missed a scholarship by a fraction of your GPA, right?
Financial aid funds are also available for athletes, minorities, or based on ethnicity. You may not have an excellent GPA and find a scholarship based on your circumstances.
Governments, large corporations, foundations, and organizations offer scholarships and grants. Researching such opportunities may allow you to get funding for your studies if you don’t meet the criteria to get aid from the university. One of such resource would be to check out the European Venture Philantrophy Association website, which lists 300+ active foundations.
Discover everything you need to know about applying for higher education programmes and studying in European countries.
Each country also has a government-backed institution that supports national and international students.
Here is a list of scholarship opportunities to study in the most popular European destinations:
- 🇩🇪 DAAD scholarships to study in Germany
- 🇫🇷 Campus France scholarships for international students
- 🇨🇭 Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships for Foreign Scholars
- 🇪🇸 Study in Spain Scholarship Program
- 🇵🇹 Scholarships to Study in Portugal
- 🇧🇦 Chevening Scholarship to study Bosnia and Herzegovina
- 🇮🇸 Chevening Scholarship to study in Iceland
- 🇲🇩 Chevening Scholarship to study in Moldova
- 🇷🇸 Chevening Scholarship to study in Serbia
- 🇬🇧 Scholarships to study in the UK
- 🇱🇻 Latvian State scholarships for studies and research
- 🇭🇺 Scholarships to study in Hungary
- 🇫🇮 Scholarships to study in Finland
- 🇸🇪 Scholarships to study in Sweden
- 🇦🇹 Scholarships to study in Austria
- 🇮🇹 The Italian Government Scholarships for Foreign Students
- 🇩🇰 Scholarships to study in Denmark
- 🇳🇴 Scholarships to study in Norway
- 🇳🇱 The Holland Scholarship
- 🇧🇪 Scholarships to study in Belgium
Fellowships are financial awards for scholars pursuing their graduate or post-graduate degrees.
They are merit-based and granted to researchers with the potential to leave a positive and long-lasting contribution to their study field. So, if you are advanced in your studies and pursuing a fantastic project, the fellowship is what you should aim for.
Fellowships are granted to fund your studies abroad while pursuing a research project.
Keep an eye on the opportunities we post daily to find your match!
📱 If you want to discover more opportunities like this, check out our mobile app, Opportunity Feed!
3. Competitions and prizes
Student competitions are a great way to win cash grants that will allow you to cover some of your expenses.
Achieving outstanding results can also give you the visibility that will leverage your future career in an international company, the possibility to find a mentor that will guide you, and additional points for your scholarship application.
Whether you are an aspiring architect, an artist, or a designer, you love coding or have other skills, there are various competitions you can try your best at! Make sure to review the overview of student competitions to launch your career in 2023.
Fun fact: both co-founders of AlphaGamma, Eric Gopak and Arthur Gopak, won scholarships to obtain their degrees. They got inspired to inform young people about such opportunities, and they started AlphaGamma.
4. Student exchange programs
Are you dreaming of pursuing a degree abroad? Various mobility programs allow you to spend a semester or more in a partnering institution abroad. Likely, you will also get a scholarship to cover expenses like rent, travel, and fees.
One of the most popular programs is Erasmus+ offering grants to fund your studies abroad. It supports students and graduates through exchanges, internships, summer programs, and more.
Most of the time, career centers at European universities coordinate the Erasmus exchange programs between countries. Make sure to get in touch with your career center’s advisor and see what the options are!
5. Support from your future employer
💡 Tip: taking part in student competitions will help you impress your future employer!
Many companies are hunting for professionals while they are still pursuing their degrees.
Are you goal-oriented and already know to which company you will be applying after graduation? Start by spending your summer as an intern, and if you do well, you may land a part-time job to fund your studies abroad.
6. Attend professional events and network
Take a look at our overview of cool European HR events happening in 2023 and check the opportunities section for more.
How many professional events in your industry have you attended last year?
Did you know that several virtual and onsite events offer free or cheap passes for students?
By attending these events, you will learn the latest trends and changes and have a chance to network with professionals, investors, and mentors. This may be your chance to accelerate your career while studying!
7. Raising qualifications
Do you feel like getting a higher degree would accelerate your professional growth?
Many companies support their employees on their career paths by funding courses and degrees. Discuss the possibility of reducing working hours and the possible promotion after getting a degree.
8. Choosing a school
What other criteria than the ranking are the most important for choosing your alma mater? If you are on a budget, take into consideration the following:
- Cost of living: evaluate your odds of getting financial aid from a university of your choice. If you plan to study abroad, consider the cost of living. If you cannot afford to study there, choose a partnering institution that offers an exchange program and make it happen!
- Public or private university? Public schools may offer lower tuition fees, but private institutions award more extensive grants and scholarships to make education more affordable.
- Work opportunities: having a part-time job while studying is one of the most common ways to provide for yourself. Are there exciting job openings in the city you would like to study?
9. Where to study for free in Europe?
*Certain universities may charge a fee.
Other fees (administration, admission fees etc.) may apply, so make sure to research the costs & requirements before applying.
There are several countries where you can pursue your degree tuition-free*.
If you are not a national of EU/EEA countries, you can benefit from free education in:
- 🇳🇴 Norway
- 🇩🇪 Germany
- 🇮🇸 Iceland
- 🇨🇿 Czechia (programs taught in the Czech language are free)
- 🇸🇮 Slovenia (the citizens of selected countries are eligible for tuition-free education)
If you are a member of the EU/EEA, you can also study tuition-free in:
If none of the above works for you, use one of the platforms like Feenix to collect funding for your education. As setting up the fundraising page may not seem complex, encouraging strangers to support you requires effort.
There are plenty of people that don’t afford education, what makes you special? Telling your story and reaching donors is not the easiest way to reach your dream degree, but if you are motivated, you can become one of the students that made it happen!
Which way to fund your studies abroad worked for you? Do you find these tips useful? Let us know in the comments! If there are any other study opportunities you would like us to cover, get in touch with us via the contact form.
For more life-changing opportunities, subscribe to our weekly newsletter and follow us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn.