Deadline: July 27, 2016 | Apply here
[Oops, the opportunity has already expired. Sign up to AlphaGamma weekly newsletters to stay ahead of the game]
Prize: 30000 Euros in cash and services
Eligibility: International startups
Location: Berlin, Germany
Are you an eco-entrepreneur or green start-up who wants to tackle the global waste challenge?
The Green Alley Award 2016
The Green Alley Award is Europe’s first start-up competition focused on the circular economy. In association with their partners Seedmatch, ERP Finland and Bethnal Green Ventures, Green Alley is looking for great green ideas, new services, products and technologies that can turn waste into a resource. In return they are offering strategic support, networking opportunities and expertise in entering the circular economy across Europe.
The Green Alley Award is an annual european prize for start-ups and entrepreneurs in the green economy, initiated in 2014 by a group of strong partners in Germany`s entrepreneurial eco-system. They are proud to be the first start-up award to recognize promising business ideas that contribute to building a circular economy and improving the waste and recycling industry as we know it today. Their aim is to find creative people with innovative ideas about how to turn waste into a sustainable business model.
Let’s make an impact and make the world a greener place!
The natural resources on our earth are limited, but despite their finite nature we consume and dispose of them as if we have another earth to go to next. The linear model of economic growth has also increased the amount of waste produced by each person. Instead of continuing this trend, we need to change the way we consume our limited resources. To achieve this we need ideas that can help build a circular economy and turn waste into a resource. This can be done by:
- reducing, reusing or recycling industrial or consumer waste streams like packaging waste, WEEE (waste electrical and electronic equipment), batteries, used photovoltaic modules, commercial and industrial waste, plastics, etc.
- replacing non-renewable resources with recycled or fully recyclable material
- repairing and refurbishing, as well as extending the lifecycle of products
- improving the reuse and recyclability of products and materials
- improving product design and considering environmental impacts during the whole lifecycle
- closing the materials loop through recycling and refurbishing
- raising awareness of recycling and sustainability through new services, products or technologies
- strengthening producer responsibility and compliance with European waste regulations
Are you an eco-entrepreneur or green start-up who wants to tackle the global waste challenge? You can apply for the Green Alley Award no matter what stage of development your business has reached, whether you are a founder with a rough idea or a small business just starting to grow, they are open to new concepts and look forward to your application. Even national boundaries are irrelevant: they are looking for start-ups from all around the world interested in entering the European market. There is only one must-have: Your business idea must be related to waste.
- a product, service or technology to help avoid, reduce, reuse, recycle or transform waste, or to revolutionize the management of resources
- a way of raising awarenessof recycling and waste challenges
Being part of the Green Alley Award helps your business idea to gain visibility in the green and circular economy sector all around Europe. As a finalist they will invite you to a one-day event with workshops and live pitches in Berlin where you will meet the circular economy experts and benefit from unique networking and learning opportunities. Use the event to get inspired and exchange ideas with like-minded entrepreneurs – including the award judges and mentors! The people you meet at the Green Alley Award could bring your business helpful contacts and partnerships as well as important sales and distribution channels in the German, UK market and beyond.
There is no such thing as losing. All our finalists:
- are invited to the final in Berlin
- will receive advice from our experts and experienced start-ups during the workshop in Berlin
- will get networking opportunities and new business contacts in the environmental industry
- will pitch in front of their Jury and international audience
Beside their beautifully upcycled award trophy, the one and only Green Alley Award winner receives up to 30000 Euros in cash and services:
- a cash prize of 7000 €
- rent-free space in their coworking space in Berlin for six months
- the possibility to receive crowdfunding, or to take part in a UK accelerator programme
- the possibility to pitch in front of the Green Alley management board.
All you have to do is to apply online, fill out the start-up profile and send your pitch deck. For the pitch deck, they accept all formats from power point to a pitch video as long as you follow the structure of the application guidelines Green Alley Award 2016. Make sure to impress them with all the important details of your business idea. The deadline for your application is the July 27 2016.
For more business and career opportunities, check our opportunities section and subscribe to our weekly newsletters.