Deadline: November 29, 2020 00:00 CET| Apply here
[Oops, the opportunity has already expired. Sign up to AlphaGamma weekly newsletters to stay ahead of the game]
Eligibility: Any students enrolled at university or in an engineering school during the academic year 2020-2021 can participate
Atos IT Challenge 2021
This year’s Atos IT Challenge seeks to develop digital solutions that will support multiple areas of decarbonization and decarbonization initiatives, helping companies and society as a whole to tackle climate change.
The Challenge is to develop a functioning application, mobile app, service or simulation to support industry, commerce or individuals in the drive for decarbonization.
The challenge seeks interesting applications that could have immediate and impactful real-world applicability.
How digital can decarbonize non-digital
The following topics may be areas to explore when considering how digital solutions can support decarbonization initiatives:
- Power generation and demand – Supporting a shift to nuclear, hydro, biofuels, geothermal, solar, wind and tidal forms of generation.
- Power use and efficiency – Local power generation, distribution and community schemes; Use of energy storage solutions such as high-capacity batteries for homes; Use of digital technology to match demand to the supply of clean energy.
- Industry – Helping to optimise or reduce the usage of steel and cement, as production of these materials results in large emissions of greenhouse gases.
- Agriculture and farming – The use of inorganic fertilizers releases methane into the atmosphere. Additionally, Livestock farming (particularly cattle) produces large volumes of methane. Can we reduce these emissions, or use digital technologies to make better use of waste methane? How can digital technology help to prevent the destruction of rainforests or aid in the recovery of deforested areas?
- Transport – Can digital technology support a shift from fossil fuels to electricity or hydrogen? How can digital technology maximise the use of public transport, car-sharing and rental schemes? Can digital aid the distribution and delivery networks supporting increased online product and grocery shopping? How can digital reduce emissions in shipping or air travel?
- The environment – How can digital solutions help us develop and use carbon capture and storage technologies.
Interested in applying for the Atos IT Challenge 2021? Register your participation by following the registration link and taking the suggested steps.