Deadline: June 15, 2021 00:00 CEST
[Oops, the opportunity has already expired. Sign up to AlphaGamma weekly newsletters to stay ahead of the game]| Apply here
Eligibility: Any university student with an interest in data science can enter and participate. If you have less than two years of professional experience then you can also join the Challenge, but you will need to pay to use Azure.
Better Working World Data Challenge 2021
EY and Microsoft are looking for problem solvers, analysts and anyone who craves a challenge and wants to help build a better world.
You just need to be a university student or have less than two years of professional experience. If that’s you, sign up now!
Don’t just predict the future. Join the Better Working World Data Challenge and use your tech skills to build a better one.
The 2021 Better Working World Data Challenge asks participants to develop an automated fire-edge detection and forecasting model using airborne and satellite imagery from NASA, the European Space Agency, and Geoscience Australia to help tackle the global threat of bushfires.
- Students get free access to Azure, Microsoft’s cutting-edge technology stack, as well as free Microsoft IT certifications
- Access to tutorials and training
- The opportunity to collaborate with others around the world
- The chance to win up to US$10,000 in cash prizes
- The top 30 finalists in each challenge will also win mentoring from EY
This year’s challenge has two components:
- Challenge 1: Build a system to detect fire-edges in infrared linescan images
- Challenge 2: Build a system to map the location and behaviour of fire-edges in satellite images
Both challenges are designed to help streamline the process of bushfire mapping for bushfire authorities.
Using data science and advanced analytic tools, your task is to map the location of the fires based on observations in the provided data.
Once you have submitted your results, you can continue to refine your model over time to achieve a higher score.
Interested in applying for the Better Working World Data Challenge 2021? Register your participation by following the registration link and taking the suggested steps.