Deadline: December 31, 2020 00:00 (CET)| Apply here
[Oops, the opportunity has already expired. Sign up to AlphaGamma weekly newsletters to stay ahead of the game]
Eligibility: This is an international competition for individuals who have made significant contributions to research in decision-making and/or its applications
Bower Award and Prize for Achievement in Science 2022
The Franklin Institute Awards celebrates pioneering achievements in science, engineering, and industry and the brilliant people from across the globe who make them.
The Franklin Institute seeks nominations for the 2022 Bower Award and Prize for Achievement in Science of individuals who have made significant contributions to the scientific understanding of decision-making.
2022 theme: decision-making
The interdisciplinary field of decision-making integrates theory and methods from economics, psychology, neuroscience, computer science, and related areas to understand the mechanisms through which individuals and groups choose among competing possibilities and how these mechanisms guide behavior.
Nominations are encouraged in, but not limited to, the following subtopics and their intersections:
- Psychological insights: mechanisms, development, context-dependence, individual differences, cultural variation, evolution
- Modeling of individual or group choice behavior: valuation, social preferences, impulsivity, strategy, network models
- Neurobiological mechanisms: human neuroscience, model organisms, behavioral neuroscience, genetic approaches, comparative approaches
- Clinical approaches: pharmacology, psychiatric disorders, neuropsychological conditions
- Development of interventions to improve individual and/or group decision-making outcomes
- Broad applications: artificial intelligence, courts/law, education, finance, health/medicine, government/public policy, intelligence, labor, technology
Nominations should clearly indicate the scientific impact—innovative, technical, and/or conceptual—and, when applicable, the societal and/or economic impact of the nominee’s work.
Who should apply?
- This is an international competition for individuals who have made significant contributions to research in decision-making and/or its applications.
- This award and prize must be presented to an individual, as specified by the will of Henry Bower.
- Candidates must be living, and the winner must participate in The Franklin Institute Awards Week programs, to be held in April 2022 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA.
- Nominations from any individual or organization will be accepted, including self-nominations.
- Nominations of candidates traditionally underrepresented in science are particularly encouraged.
The award, $14k gold medal, and a cash prize of $250,000 are presented annually to a distinguished member of the international scientific community for work in a prescribed discipline that changes each year.
Interested in applying for the the Bower Award and Prize for Achievement in Science 2022? Register your participation by following the registration link and taking the suggested steps.