Deadline: March 3, 2016 | Apply here
[Oops, the opportunity has already expired. Sign up to AlphaGamma weekly newsletters to stay ahead of the game]
Eligibility: International students
Location: State-recognized universities in Germany
The Heinrich Böll Foundation awards scholarships to international students who have gained their university entrance qualification from a school outside of Germany who wish to pursue a master’s or PhD degree in Germany. The scholarships are awarded for all subjects.
Every year, the Heinrich Böll Foundation grants scholarships (the Heinrich Boll Foundation Scholarships) to approximately 1,000 undergraduate, master’s, and doctoral students of all subject courses and nationalities. These students are those who are pursuing their degree at universities, universities of applied sciences or universities of the arts. The Foundation campaigns for gender democracy, social emancipation, and equality between women and men. It is also committed to promoting equality and social participation for cultural and ethnic minorities.
- Master’s Studies: €750 per month plus various individual allowances.
- PhD Studies: €1000 per month plus €100 mobility allowance per month, plus various individual allowances.
- Tuition fees are not funded for either master’s or PhD studies.
International students on a master’s course in any subject who earned their university entrance qualification outside Germany (Bildungsausländer/innen) and are studying, or wish to study, in Germany at university of applied science (Fachhochschule) or university
- You may apply before beginning your master’s programme or at any time up to the end of the first semester of the master’s programme.
- Special focus regions are: central and eastern Europe, the EU’s neighbouring states and the CIS, the Middle East and North Africa (especially Syria, Egypt, Tunisia, Israel), transition and newly industrialised countries, and conflict regions worldwide.
- Applicants must have completed a first degree.
- Good or very good knowledge of German (at least B2 Level) is required; please supply documentary evidence. The selection workshops are generally held in German. If a scholarship is granted, intensive German courses may be funded.
International doctoral students in all subjects, who earned the university entrance qualification outside Germany, and who are pursuing, or wish to pursue, doctoral studies in Germany (Bildungsausländer/innen):
- At the time of application, the applicant must have been accepted as a doctoral student by a state-recognised German institution of higher education.
- Preference will be given to dissertation projects related to the working areas of the Heinrich Böll Foundation
Heinrich Böll scholarships application instructions
For details of application requirements and procedures, please consult information sheet A 1-1 (“scholarship application for undergraduate and graduate students”, PDF) or A 2-1 (“scholarship application for doctoral studies”). These give important information on the formalities of your application and on preconditions and criteria. The online application portal closes on 3 March 2016 at the latest.