Dates: May 31 – June 2, 2017 | Register here
Prices: starting from EUR 580,-
Location: Leipzig, Germany
International Transport Forum 2017
The International Transport Forum, the Summit on Governance of Transport will explore the trends shaping transport governance and identify the most pressing challenges in the transport sector. Through the governance lens, it will focus on infrastructure, global connectivity, the right regulation for innovation, and urban access and mobility.
The Annual Summit of the International Transport Forum is the premier global transport policy event. Since 2008, the Summit brings together ministers from around the world to share policy perspectives with CEOs, heads of international organisations, thought leaders from civil society and academia, and the media. This vibrant conference addresses strategic and topical issues across all transport modes where participants can engage in the debate through a variety of session formats.
Transport governance affects decisions regarding everything from local cycle paths to global trade routes. The governance framework both responds to and shapes decision-making and policies addressing inter alia environmental and climate considerations, working conditions, accessibility, and technical solutions, as well as organisational and financial challenges for the sector that are in constant flux. Important factors in this include legislative and regulatory frameworks, attribution and devolution of responsibilities between different levels of authority and across sectors and involvement of stakeholders.
Infrastructure for tomorrow’s mobility needs
- How can better governance help increase infrastructure investment?
- Should users or taxpayers fund infrastructure investment?
- Which private financing models work best?
Connectivity for a global economy and inclusive society
- What does the shift from a modal perspective to a focus on access and mobility mean for transport governance?
- In which ways can technology drive network connectivity and foster cooperation?
- How can transport governance better interface with other sectors?
Regulation for innovation
- How can regulation strike the best balance between protecting consumers and fostering innovation?
- Where are governments regulating ahead of change and with what results?
- How should regulation adapt to disruptive innovation like autonomous cars or open data?
Urban access for better mobility
- What are the most effective governance frameworks for integrated urban transport?
- How can transport governance best integrate with spatial planning?
- How can national authorities create effective frameworks for funding urban mobility and access?
The Summit offers a rich programme of inspiring keynote addresses, interactive sessions featuring transport ministers and other ITF stakeholders to debate policy responses to the sector’s challenges. Technical and cultural tours and an exhibition complement this diverse programme of events. The Summit also provides numerous networking opportunities, including bilateral meetings, receptions and a gala dinner.
Interpretation to English, French, German and Russian is provided for the plenaries and some of the panel sessions.
The Summit provides a multitude of opportunities to network. Over 100 bilateral meetings are held during the Summit, and there are countless informal opportunities to engage – from receptions, the VIP lunch, a Gala Dinner, the ITF Open Stage café and exhibitor’s stand to technical visits and cultural tours.
More than 50 exhibitors from around the world showcase the latest initiatives and technological developments. They represent governments, businesses, international organisations, research institutions, NGOs and business associations.
The Summit is the ideal opportunity for any organization or company involved in transport or related activities to raise its profile and showcase products, services and initiatives to a high-level global audience.
At the Summit, the ITF partner organisations host side events looking at the topics that complement the Summit theme and present recent work, the foster debate on key issues or conduct technical or policy discussions.
During the Summit, ministers present the ITF Transport Awards in three categories:
- ITF Transport Achievement Award for excellence in transport provision
- Promising Transport Innovation Award
- Transport Researcher of the Year Award