Deadline: January 16, 2019 15:00 (GMT-0800)| Apply here
[Oops, the opportunity has already expired. Sign up to AlphaGamma weekly newsletters to stay ahead of the game]
Eligibility: The applicants must be women with, at a minimum, two years of full-time professional experience in the STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) fields; have, at a minimum, a bachelor’s degree/four-year university degree or equivalent; be proficient in written and spoken English; be citizens and permanent residents of Algeria, Cameroon, Egypt, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kyrgyzstan, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Nigeria, Pakistan, the Palestinian Territories, Rwanda, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Tajikistan, Tunisia, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan or Zimbabwe at the time of application and while participating in the program; be eligible to obtain a U.S. J-1 exchange visitor visa; not have applied for an immigrant visa to the United States in the past five years; not hold U.S. citizenship or be a U.S. legal permanent resident.
Location: Washington, the United States
The mission of TechWomen is to empower, connect and support the next generation of women leaders in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) by providing them access and opportunity to advance their careers, pursue their dreams, and become role models for women and girls in their communities.
TechWomen brings emerging women leaders from Africa, Central and South Asia, and the Middle East together with their professional counterparts in the United States for a mentorship and exchange program.
TechWomen provides participants access to networks, resources, and knowledge to empower them to reach their full potential.
During the five-week program, participants engage in project-based mentorships at leading companies in the San Francisco Bay Area and Silicon Valley, participate in professional development workshops and networking events, and travel to Washington, DC. for targeted meetings and special events to conclude the program.
Who should apply?
An ideal candidate should:
- Demonstrate themselves as emerging leaders in their chosen professional track through their work experience, volunteer experience, community activities and education.
- Are committed to returning to their home countries to share what they have learned and mentor women and girls.
- Have limited or no prior experience in the United States.
- Have a proven record of voluntary or public service in their communities.
- Have a demonstrated track record of entrepreneurialism and commitment to innovation.
- Demonstrate a willingness to participate in exchange programs, welcome opportunities for mentoring and new partnership development, and exhibit confidence and maturity.
Benefits of applying
- Costs covered for airfare, accommodation, meals and transport
- Professional mentorship
- Washington D.C. Trip including visits to tech companies
- Cultural exchange
Interested in applying for the TechWomen 2019? Register your participation by following the registration link and taking the suggested steps.