Deadline: February 1, 2016 | Apply here
[Oops, the opportunity has already expired. Sign up to AlphaGamma weekly newsletters to stay ahead of the game]
Eligibility: International students
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands
Founded in 1636 and located in the heart of the Netherlands, Utrecht University is one of Europe’s leading research universities.
It is recognized internationally for their high-quality, innovative approach to research and teaching. As an international student, you’ll be in good company at Utrecht University. Every year, approximately 1,500 international students come to the university to take English-taught degree programmes and other courses. Students work and study closely together, learning to operate in an international environment from the outset. This is essential for scientists and scholars in our increasingly globalised world.
To be eligible for an Utrecht Excellence Scholarship, you must
- Belong to the top 10% of your graduating class
- Hold a non-EU/EEA passport and not be eligible for support under the Dutch system of study grants and loans
- Have completed your secondary school and/or Bachelor degree outside the Netherlands
- Have applied for an international master’s programme with a start date of September 1, 2016. Not all programmes participate, please check > master’s programme > Tuition fees and financial support to see if the Utrecht Excellence Scholarship is mentioned as a scholarship opportunity.
The Utrecht Excellence scholarship can be awarded as:
- tuition fees
- tuition fees plus 11.000 euro living expenses
As the grant is not automatically a full scholarship, it may be necessary to find additional funding to be able to finance your studies and stay completely. Students requiring a residence permit in the Netherlands must prove to the IND (Immigration and Naturalisation Office) that they have sufficient financial means. Read more about the budget the University advises.
Number of Scholarships
20-25 scholarships are available for 2016-2017, divided over the 6 Graduate Schools. The scholarship is awarded for the duration of the degree programme, which is one or two years, depending on the degree programme. The scholarship will only be renewed for the second year if the student is making satisfactory progress towards the degree.
After submitting an application for the Master’s programme, non-EU/EEA students will have the option to submit an application for an Utrecht Excellence Scholarship.
You will need to upload the following document:
- Proof of belonging to the top 10% of your graduating class: an official document issued by your university that proves you are among the top 10% of your graduating class, such as a statement signed and stamped by your University, a reference letter, a class ranking certificate, etc.
Please note that students starting their programme in February are not eligible for the Utrecht Excellence Scholarships.
- Submit an application for a Master’s programme; if you do not do this first, your UES application will simply be deleted.
- After submitting an application for a Master’s programme, you can go to Osiris Online Application
- Log in with your Osiris username and password
- Click on the link ‘New application‘
- Answer the UES questions and upload the requested document(s)
- Submit your application
The funds for the scholarships come from the Utrecht Excellence Scholarship Fund, established by Utrecht University and from contributions by Utrecht University alumni.