It seems that we’re all getting more in touch with our “inner space” during the COVID-19 pandemic. The extensive time in isolation has given us the time and opportunity to face our truths – our beliefs, our impact and our choices.
Here are 10 trends we’re seeing during COVID-19 that show better self-awareness, other-awareness and moral awareness.
- We’re more aware of the importance of science in our lives
- We’re more aware (in our households, families and workplaces) that we are “all in this together” and each decision we make impacts everyone else in the group
- We’re more aware of how our actions (or inactions) can harm others
- We’re more aware of the importance of moral awareness in leadership
- We’re more aware of societal economic disparities
- We’re more aware of societal racial disparities
- We’re more aware of our global connectedness
- We’re more aware of what our travel lifestyle does to the planet
- We’re more aware of the risks others take for our benefit and well-being
- We’re more aware of the importance of taking responsibility for our actions, even under the most difficult and inconvenient circumstances
In my lifetime, I have not seen a time when we have had to come face-to-face with our own beliefs the same way we are having to now. Poor thinking is literally a health risk in these challenging times when failing to wear a mask at the wrong time can lead to illness or death.
Nancy Gibbs, Harvard Kennedy School, reflects on the impact of the pandemic on our thinking and leadership:
“This is real. This has been a moral autopsy. Look for the common humanity. Look for the complexity, get past attributing bad motives to the ‘other side.’”
– Nancy Gibbs, Harvard Kennedy School
While it’s always easier to criticize others than to face our own limitations, it’s our own thinking and actions we should be examining now.
Take a moment to reflect on how your moral awareness has changed during COVID-19. How do you see your responsibilities differently, and how is that changing your actions? I would love to hear your thoughts in the comment section below!