Deadline: May 13, 2016 | Apply here
[Oops, the opportunity has already expired. Sign up to AlphaGamma weekly newsletters to stay ahead of the game]
Eligibility: Citizens aged between 18 to 30 of any of the 51 Asia-Europe Meeting (ASEM) countries are welcome to apply
Dates: July 6-10, 2016
Location: Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
Join the 7th Model ASEM in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
Model ASEM is a 3-day youth conference and political simulation of the actual Asia-Europe Meeting (ASEM) Summit.
It is a platform for political debate and negotiation where over 150 participants from the 51 Asia-Europe Meeting countries have the possibility to experience Asia-Europe diplomacy through role-play exercises, practical trainings as well as meetings with the leaders of today. Through role-play, research, case-studies and practical trainings students will enhance their diplomacy, negotiation, consensus-building and public-speaking skills.
The 7th Model ASEM will include 3 main components:
- Phase 1: An online pre-event phase (ca. 3 weeks) where the selected participants will join online pre-conference research and training modules which include individual tasks, excercises, case studies and team work;
- Phase 2: A 3-day conference in Ulaanbaatar filled with plenary sessions, working groups, practical trainings and visits to Diplomatic Missions located in Ulaanbaatar. The participants will as a result of the conference develop a Chair’s Statement of the 7th Model ASEM;
- Phase 3: 4 student participants are to present the Chair’s Statement of the 7th Model ASEM to the ASEM Leaders and officials attending the ASEM11. In agreement with the relevant Ministry of Foreign Affairs, a number of participating students will have the chance to meet their Heads of States on the sidelines of the ASEM11
Why should you apply?
- Gain and develop skills in the fields of negotiation, diplomacy and consensus-building
- Play the role of a Head of State or Government of an Asia-Europe Meeting country and discuss political, economic and socio-cultural issues
- Meet leaders from governments, academia and international organisations
- Enhance your understanding of Asia-Europe collaboration and the Asia-Europe Meeting process
- Visit diplomatic missions of other Asia-Europe Meeting countries located in Ulaanbaatar to gain an in-depth knowledge about the functions of an Embassy or Consulate
Who can apply
- Citizens (passport holders) of any of the 51 Asia-Europe Meeting countries.
- University students from all disciplines, between the ages of 18-30, with an interest in international relations
- The conference will be conducted in English only, and therefore requires strong verbal and written command of English by all participants.