Deadline: July 31, 2018 00:00 CEST| Apply here
[Oops, the opportunity has already expired. Sign up to AlphaGamma weekly newsletters to stay ahead of the game]
Eligibility: The competition is open only to individuals older than 18 at the time of entry. Parents and guardians of filmmakers younger than 18 can submit on their behalf.
Prizes: Total sum of prizes amounts to USD 26,000,-
CineSpace Short Film Competition 2018
CineSpace, short film competition, is a collaboration between NASA and Houston Cinema Arts Society (HCAS) that offers filmmakers around the world a chance to share their works inspired by and using, actual NASA imagery.
Winners are announced and screened along with all finalists at the annual Houston Cinema Arts Festival which is held in November.
Who is eligible to apply?
The competition is open only to natural persons who are at least 18 years of age at the time of entry. Parents and guardians of filmmakers younger than 18 can submit on their behalf.
The following persons are not eligible to win prizes: employees of NASA, Houston Cinema Arts Society (hereafter “HCAS”) and their Board, employees of vendors to NASA or HCAS that have contracted to provide services to or in connection with the Competition, members of the Selection Committee, the Competition judges, and members of the households of the foregoing persons
Each Submission must comply with the following rules:
- It must be an original work by you (apart from the NASA imagery)
- It must have been created after January 1, 2015.
- It must either be in the English language or have English subtitles (to the extent it contains dialogue or text).
- It must be no longer than 10 minutes, including credits.
- It must contain at least 10% (total time basis of actual work – not including end credits) of NASA Video Imagery, which may be found on the NASA Archive or other publicly available sources. (NASA Imagery may be altered with After Effects or other techniques).
- The submitted works may be uploaded to the Tongal website in HD 720p 16×9 with acceptable file formats: .mov, .avi, .mp4, .wmv, and acceptable codecs: H.264 (MP4), MPEG-4, H.263, MPGV, WMV, DivX. Different original formats should be presented in a 720p sequence – formatted to your preference.
- Cinespace screens all selections in 1080p format.
- It must not be an excerpt from a longer work.
- It must comply with all of the content restrictions set forth in Terms. Among other things, ANY USE OF THIRD PARTY MUSIC IN THE SUBMISSION MUST BE PRE-CLEARED WITH THE APPLICABLE OWNERS/LICENSORS.
- You must have the right to grant the licenses set forth in Terms.
In general, they are looking for submissions that:
- Are based on innovative artistic presentation and storytelling;
- Provoke an emotional response;
- Show a mastery of film-making craftsmanship
- Grand Prize: USD 10,000,-
- Second Prize: USD 5,000,-
- Third Prize: USD 3,000,-
Special Judging Categories and Awards for:
- Film Best Depicting Innovation and Inclusion in Science and Technology: USD 4,000
- Film Best Depicting Concept of “Moon, Mars and Beyond”: USD 4,000
Interested in attending the CineSpace NASA Short Film Competition 2018? Register your participation by following the registration link and taking the suggested steps.