Deadline: December 14, 2017 00:00 (GMT)
[Oops, the opportunity has already expired. Sign up to AlphaGamma weekly newsletters to stay ahead of the game] | Apply here
Eligibility: Commonwealth citizen not older than 29 years old. The nominee must have been engaged in development work for more than 12 months, either in a professional or voluntary capacity
Location: London, The United Kingdom
Commonwealth Youth Awards 2018
Young people constitute more than 60% of the population of the Commonwealth; their empowerment is essential to the success of the Commonwealth and its member states.
The Commonwealth works with youth leaders, member governments, and other stakeholders to engage and empower young people and enhance their contribution to development.
The work of the Commonwealth is anchored in the belief that empowered young people are assets to their societies.
The Commonwealth Youth Awards for Excellence in Development Work 2018 aim to raise the profile of young people and highlight the contribution they are making towards developing a fairer, sustainable, peaceful, and prosperous future for the Commonwealth.
Towards a common future
This special edition of the awards will coincide with the Commonwealth Youth Forum (CYF) preceding the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM) in London, April, 2018 under the theme “Towards a Common Future” and will highlight the contribution that young people are making throughout the Commonwealth, in areas such as poverty alleviation, conflict resolution and prevention, democracy and environmental preservation.
The Commonwealth Youth Awards give international, regional and national recognition and support to those young men and women who have demonstrated young peoples capacity and potential to make positive contributions to their communities, nations and the world at large.
Young people are not passive beneficiaries of development and spectators to programmes and of policies that affect their development, but rather are integrally involved in the process of change as they continue to work side by side with decision makers as key actors and stakeholders contributing to national development.
There will be four finalists per Commonwealth region with the top entry receiving the Regional Winner Award and the top regional winner receiving the Pan-Commonwealth Award and to be named the Commonwealth Young Person of the Year 2018.
- The 16 Regional finalists will each receive a £1,000 grant, a trophy and a certificate.
- The 4 Regional Winners will receive an additional £2,000 (a total of £3,000) a trophy and a certificate
- The Pan-Commonwealth Winner will receive an additional £2000 (a total of £5,000) a trophy and a certificate.
- The nominee must have been engaged in development work for more than 12 months, either in a professional or voluntary capacity;
- The nominee must be a Commonwealth citizen and the development work must be taking place in a Commonwealth member country;
- The nominee should not be older than 29 on 31 December 2017;
- Individuals can nominate themselves or be nominated by someone who can accurately describe their development work.
The winners must agree to take part in publicity generated by the Commonwealth.