Deadline: October 1, 2018 05:00 GMT-0700| Apply here
[Oops, the opportunity has already expired. Sign up to AlphaGamma weekly newsletters to stay ahead of the game]
Eligibility: Applications are welcome from researchers of all nationalities who are working in the arts, humanities, or social sciences
Location: Los Angeles, the United States
Getty Scholar Grants 2018
Getty Scholar Grants are for established scholars or writers who have attained distinction in their fields.
Recipients are in residence at the Getty Research Institute or Getty Villa, where they pursue their own projects free from academic obligations, make use of Getty collections, join their colleagues in a weekly meeting devoted to an annual research theme, and participate in the intellectual life of the Getty.
Getty Scholars may be in residence from three to nine months:
- Three-month residency: September to December, January to March, April to June: $17,200
- Six-month residency: September to March, January to June: $42,000
- Nine-month residency: September to June: $65,000
The grant also includes an office at the Getty Research Institute or the Getty Villa, an apartment in the Getty scholar housing complex, airfare to and from Los Angeles, and available healthcare option. These terms apply as of July 2018 and are subject to future changes.
How to Apply
Applicants are required to complete and submit the online Getty Scholar grant application form, along with the attachments described below, by the deadline.
- Project Proposal: Each application must include a description of the applicant’s proposed plan for study and research (not to exceed five pages, typed and double-spaced).
The description should indicate:
how the project bears upon the scholar year theme
how the project would be advanced by the resources at the Getty, including its library and collections
- Curriculum Vitae
- Optional Writing Sample
Getty Scholar Grants are awarded on a competitive basis. Applications are evaluated based on the following:
- the overall quality of the application
- how the proposed project bears upon the annual research theme
- the applicant’s past achievements
- how the project would benefit from the resources at the Getty, including its library and collections.
Interested in applying for the Getty Scholar Grants 2018? Register your participation by following the registration link and taking the suggested steps.