Global Bioeconomy Summit 2018
Bioeconomy has taken a steep and exciting way forward following the first Global Bioeconomy Summit in 2015.
The communiqué of GBS2015 was highly appreciated and made the Summit a widely recognized global event. It is now time to come together again and consider appropriate strategies for further international cooperation in a next Global Bioeconomy Summit: GBS2018!
An International Advisory Council will shape the agenda and the expected outcome of the Summit. Similarly to GBS2015, the summit will encourage the participation from bioeconomy enthusiasts from around the globe.
Youth Art Competition
The overall purpose of the Youth Competition is to involve young people from around the world in the Global Bioeconomy Summit 2018 and to gather their visions on the future of bioeconomy.
With this in mind, students are invited to submit creative contributions in the form of illustrations. The results of the competition will be exhibited during the GBS2018. They will be incorporated into the discussions on future visions of the bioeconomy and how these visions can be communicated to different audiences.
The bioeconomy is supported by a social change towards greater sustainability.
It is based on innovations from research and development and on renewable resources.
Even if there is no unified definition of the bioeconomy, an understanding of “bioeconomy as the knowledge-based production and utilization of biological resources, processes and principles, to provide products and services in all sectors of trade and industry” is shared by many countries.
The life sciences and biotechnologies will play a key role in the bioeconomy. It is this knowledge of biological processes and their targeted use that marks the beginning of a revolutionary development in technology.
Similarly to digitization, biologization of the economy will trigger an even more profound transformation in all areas of society and industry.
Students are invited to submit an entry that addresses one of the following questions:
- What is your vision of a future bioeconomy?
- How would you like to live in the future and how would bioeconomy contribute?
- How will the bioeconomy contribute to coping with global challenges in your direct living environment?
Participation is open to all students enrolled in degree programs at universities or other institutions of higher education. The competition is open to all disciplines.
The jury will select three competition winners.
Entries will be judged based on the following criteria:
- content (thematic consistency, understanding of the bioeconomy concept)
- innovation, originality, and creativity
- formal requirements
- Nominated teams or individuals will receive a travel grant to Berlin – Europe’s capital of art and culture.
- Nominees will get the chance to participate in the GBS2018 and to present their work to an international and expert audience.
- The travel grant will cover travel costs (economy class) and hotel accommodation in Berlin for one person per nomination.