Deadline: April 30, 2018 00:00 (CEST)
[Oops, the opportunity has already expired. Sign up to AlphaGamma weekly newsletters to stay ahead of the game] | Apply here
Eligibility: Organizations, communities, cities, businesses, governments, and others that are taking concrete action on climate change can apply to have their projects recognized as a 2018 Lighthouse Activity.
Location: Katowice, Poland
Momentum for Change Lighthouse Activities 2018
Lighthouse Activities are shining examples of successful mitigation and adaptation actions that serve to inspire and increase momentum for further action on climate change.
Spearheaded by the United Nations Climate Change Secretariat, Momentum for Change shines a light on the most innovative, scalable and replicable examples of what people around the world are doing to tackle climate change.
Lighthouse Activities are chosen on the basis of predefined selection criteria which, in addition to specific thematic criteria, emphasize innovative partnerships as a way to achieve long-lasting, transformational change. Lighthouse Activities must also be replicable and scalable.
If you’re leading a results-driven project that is successfully addressing climate change, you are strongly encouraged to apply!
If your institution has successfully implemented a project, initiative, program or other activity that addresses climate change mitigation or adaptation while focusing on one of the areas outlined below, UN would like to hear about it.
If your project is selected as a winning activity, you will receive a wide range of benefits, including:
- fully covered attendance at the 2018 UN Climate Change Conference in Katowice, Poland
- access to policy makers and potential funders during the conference
- public recognition by the UN Climate Change Secretariat
- public relations support and media training
- marketing materials, including promotional videos, a dedicated page about your project on the website and professional photography
Four key areas
Applicants must choose one of the following four focus areas where their activity is making a difference:
- Women for results: Recognizing the critical leadership and participation of women in addressing climate change.
- Financing for climate-friendly investment: Recognizing successful financial innovations and funding mechanisms that are unlocking climate finance and building capacity.
- Planetary health: Recognizing novel solutions that balance the need for both human health and a healthy planet.
- Climate neutral now: Recognizing efforts by individuals, companies and governments that are achieving real results in transitioning to climate neutrality.
Your activity must meet the eligibility criteria for its respective area of focus. In order to meet the basic eligibility criteria, the activity must:
- Address climate change mitigation or adaptation
- Be already implemented, or in the course of implementation
- Be scalable and/or replicable with potential for long-term impact
- Be innovative and/or demonstrate potential for long-term transformational change
- Deliver verifiable social and environmental benefits
- Not be registered or have intentions to register as a clean development mechanism (CDM) or joint implementation (JI) initiative in the next two years.
The selection process
Lighthouse Activities will be announced in October 2018 and officially recognized and celebrated during an award ceremony and a series of special events in December 2018 at the UN Climate Change Conference in Katowice, Poland.
Interested in applying for the Momentum for Change Lighthouse Activities 2018? Register your participation by following the registration link and taking the suggested steps.