Dates: January 19-21, 2018 | Register here
Call for Papers Deadline: November 19, 2017 00:00 (GMT-0900)
[Oops, the opportunity has already expired. Sign up to AlphaGamma weekly newsletters to stay ahead of the game] | Submit here
Price: USD 150,-
Location: Washington DC, The United States
ShmooCon is an annual east coast hacker convention hell-bent on offering three days of an interesting atmosphere for demonstrating technology exploitation, inventive software and hardware solutions, and open discussions of critical infosec issues.
The first day is a single track of speed talks called One Track Mind. The next two days bring three tracks: Build It, Belay It, and Bring It On.
- Affordable – ShmooCon is about high quality without the high price. Keep in mind that space is limited, and it’s sold out quickly every year.
- Accessible– The convention is held in Washington, DC at the Washington Hilton about four blocks from the DC Metro’s Dupont Circle Station. Fly into DCA, IAD, or BWI or take a train to Union Station, and you’re just a short cab ride away from the con.
- Entertaining – Brain melting from all the cool tech you’re learning? Be sure to check out the other events running during ShmooCon, including the Lockpick Village, ShmooCon Labs, Hack Fortress, and more.
ShmooCon supports the free and open exchange of information
ShmooCon is proud to have attendees with unique and diverse viewpoints on just about any topic. It aims to foster the exchange of ideas among attendees and think the community benefits from inclusiveness. To that end, the convention is committed to providing a friendly, lively, and welcoming environment for all. For your part, please be awesome to one another.
What is awesome?
In the simplest terms, it means tolerance and respect. ShmooCon values free speech and it also values its attendees and desire no one to be marginalized or intimidated. Everyone is welcome at the convention.
ShmooCon has four tracks to accommodate a variety of speaking styles and topics
- ONE TRACK MIND – Tell something interesting in twenty minutes or less
- BUILD IT – Creating inventive software and hardware
- BELAY IT – Cutting edge defensive solutions to contemporary problems
- BRING IT ON – Open discussion of technology and security topics
Call for papers
ShmooCon is most interested in new presentations, but important updates on existing work are welcome too. They are also interested in presentations from new faces, therefore, any individual who has not spoken at a conference before is encouraged to submit a talk and attempt to make ShmooCon their inaugural event.
ShmooCon presentations should be focused on topics that are of interest to security and technology professionals who are paying attention to current trends and issues. Presentations dealing with new technologies are always encouraged.
Presentations that are rehashes of old talks, primers on known technologies, or vendor pitches will be rejected and summarily panned. The aim of ShmooCon is to be educational and entertaining to the attendees and the community at large. The speakers are expected to be a part of that through talks that are well thought out, well presented and original.
If you feel you have a presentation that would be appropriate but that does not meet the guidelines in this CFP, feel free to submit it anyway as they sometimes accept out-of-scope talks that are so cool and compelling they’ll obviously be of interest to ShmooCon attendees. Just be sure to include information explaining your reasoning so we can better evaluate your proposal.
Speakers in all tracks will receive free admission to the conference. Accepted talks will also receive a $200 (shared) honorarium or one guest admission to ShmooCon.