Deadline: March 6, 2018 00:00 (CET)
[Oops, the opportunity has already expired. Sign up to AlphaGamma weekly newsletters to stay ahead of the game] | Apply here
Eligibility: The Tournament is open to individuals or teams from (or residing in) the European Union Member States, Candidate and Potential Candidate countries, and EFTA countries that submit proposals to be implemented in one or more such countries.
Prizes: 1st and 2nd Prizes of EUR 50,000,- and EUR 20,000,- respectively
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Social Innovation Tournament 2018
The Tournament seeks to promote the generation of innovative ideas and identify/reward opportunities promising substantial societal benefits or demonstrating best practices with tangible, scalable outcomes.
The Social Innovation Tournament recognises and supports the best European social entrepreneurs.
It is organised in a different country every year to reward and sponsor European entrepreneurs whose primary purpose is to generate a social, ethical or environmental impact.
Projects are typically related to combating unemployment, marginalisation of disadvantaged communities and promoting access to education in a wide range of fields, from education and health care to the natural or urban environment, using new technologies, new systems, and new processes.
The tournament runs in two rounds. A selection committee, comprised mainly of EIB Group experts in innovation, the environment, and other relevant disciplines, selects 15 finalists. The finalists are invited to a mentoring bootcamp to provide them with the necessary guidance to finalise their proposals.
At the final event, all the finalists have to present and defend their project to a jury of social innovation specialists.
- All projects compete for the General Category and Special Category 1st and 2nd Prizes of EUR 50 000 and EUR 20 000 respectively.
- In 2018, the Special Category Prizes will go to projects focusing on sustainable development with special emphasis on circular economy.
- Projects also compete for a residency at IRIS (Incubadora Regional de Inovação Social) and for numerous mentoring vouchers.
- The prizes and mentoring vouchers are awarded by a jury of specialists from the academic and business worlds.
- All finalists join the SIT Alumni network and benefit from numerous training opportunities, participation in conferences around Europe, and network with investors, venture philanthropists and foundations who can help their project to scale.
Additional benefits of attending
Finalists from all SIT editions become members of the SIT Alumni Network, and can apply to attend an SIT Impact Bootcamp, a full-time executive training course focused on scaling, pitching and engagement with investors.
Furthermore, to explore synergies and complementarities with the growing community of social entrepreneurs supported by the Institute through the SIT, the Institute is supporting the first social incubator in the North of Portugal (Amarante).
Interested in applying for the Social Innovation Tournament 2018? Register your participation by following the registration link and taking the suggested steps.