Deadline: August 28 (to become a member of the Selection Committee); September 2, 2015 (to join as a participant)
[Oops, the opportunity has already expired. Sign up to AlphaGamma weekly newsletters to stay ahead of the game]
Eligibility: Anyone who is in New York on September 27 and who does not need a US visa or can obtain it in less than 2 weeks
Dates: September 27, 2015
Costs: Costs must be covered by participants
Venue: New York, USA
The UN Non-Governmental Liaison Service (UN-NGLS) offers all young participants an opportunity to take part in the Solutions Summit 2015, a catalytic gathering that will take place on September 27th, 2015 at UN Headquarters in New York City. It marks the beginning of a longer-term grassroots effort to lift-up exceptional innovators – technologists, engineers, scientists, who are developing solutions that address one or more of the 17 sustainable development goals.
The event is timed to follow the conclusion of the 3-day high-level UN General Assembly Summit to adopt the Post-2015 Development Agenda. The purpose of the Solutions Summit is:
- to make visible, and lift-up exceptional innovators — technologists, engineers, scientists, and others — who are developing solutions that address one or more of the 17 Sustainable Development Goals, and
- to catalyze a grassroots effort, where communities scout and convene resources around solution-makers.
The Solutions Summit is led by the UN Foundation, Project Everyone, the UN Non-Governmental Liaison Service (UN-NGLS), in collaboration with the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy, the Brazilian Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation, the Kenyan Ministry of Information Communications and Technology, the Estonian Information System Authority, (with an open invitation for other governments and collaborators to join), and with the indispensable support of global friends and colleagues.
The Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), also being referred to as the Global Goals, are a set of 17 goals for global dignity, prosperity, partnership, and justice for all people and the planet. The framework will be formally launched over September 25-27th, 2015. UN Member States, civil society, and private sector contributors will use the Sustainable Development Goals to shape and guide development global efforts over the next 15 years.
- During the inaugural Solutions Summit on the 27th of September, a group of 17-20 global innovators will be invited to give a well-rehearsed ‘lightning talk’ outlining their breakthrough efforts to a juxtaposed audience of senior policymakers who have the means to pave solid regulatory foundations, investors who care deeply about long-term change and impact, and industry leaders who are able to deploy quickly and at scale.
- The gathering will serve as a catalyst for a longer-term, locally-led and globally-supported effort to activate the world’s most forward thinking technologists, scientists, and engineers and to convene the resources and talent to apply their work in addressing the Sustainable Development Goals.
Help surface extraordinary individuals and teams who are developing solutions that address the SDG(s) and encourage them to apply.
- Everyone is welcome to apply. Application is welcomed from extraordinary individuals and teams who are developing solutions that address the SDGs
- Selected applicants must be available to come to New York City on the 27th September 2015:
UN-NGLS is fully coordinating the selection process to curate solutions to be featured during the inaugural Solutions Summit.
You can apply in 2 ways:
- By 28th August 2015 – Apply to be a part of the Selection Committee
- By 2nd September 2015 – Submit proposals for inclusion in the Solutions Summit
To join the forum, fill in this application form.