Deadline: March 7, 2018 00:00 (CET)
[Oops, the opportunity has already expired. Sign up to AlphaGamma weekly newsletters to stay ahead of the game] | Apply here
Eligibility: Girls ages 10 to 18 learn to identify a problem in their community and create a mobile app solution to address that problem, and then learn how to communicate these ideas and translate them into a fully launched business.
Prizes: The winning ideas will be given the resources they need to be brought to life.
Technovation Challenge 2018
Every year, Technovation invites teams of girls from all over the world to learn and apply the skills needed to solve real-world problems through technology.
Technovation offers girls around the world the opportunity to learn necessary skills to emerge as tech entrepreneurs and leaders. Every year, Technovation challenges girls to build a business plan and mobile app that will address a community problem.
The Technovation program takes students through 4 stages of launching a mobile app startup, inspired by the principles of design thinking: Ideation, Technology, Entrepreneurship, and Pitch.
ARE YOU READY TO LEAD THE CHANGE?
- Learn how to launch a mobile app, from ideation to pitching.
- Learn the necessary skills to become a tech entrepreneur and leader.
Technovation Changes Girls’ Lives
- 58% of alumnae enroll in a further Computer Science course
- 26% of alumnae in college major in CS (this is 65x higher than the national rate of 0.4% of first-year female college students majoring in CS)
How it works
- Make a team: Get together a team or enter on your own.
- Identify an issue to tackle: Come up with an idea that you believe could help achieve the Global Goals.
- Build a prototype: Bring your idea to life with help from online courses and mentors.
- Pitch it!: Share your idea and if it’s a winning one we’ll give you the resources you need to share it with the world.
Over the course of the project you’ll learn how to:
- Create an app prototype with MIT App Inventor
- Conduct market research and financial analysis
- Carry out effective business planning
You’ll have to think on your feet and work closely with your team to solve problems. Over the course of the challenge, you’ll need to be curious, ready to take risks and develop an entrepreneurial spirit.
It’s a girl’s world
Since 2010, more than 10,000 girls from 78 countries have participated in Technovation.
With the help of volunteer mentors, they’ve produced mobile “startups” that have helped address problems in local and global communities the world over.
And while each year more and more girls take up the challenge, we know that there are always more problems to solve… and that there are girls from every part of the world ready to solve them.